Sunday, September 25, 2011

The River Seine


The Chesapeake Biological Laboratory at Solomons gathers data from the Patuxent River, sending out a crew of four people every few weeks during the warmer months to collect information on temperature, salinity, turbidity and other details about water quality.  They also gather information about the fish fry being produced by at least two species: the rockfish and it's prey, menhaden.  One of the sites they monitor along the river is the place where I film, so I have been able to talk to them a little bit about what they do.

In order to seine the shoreline for fish fry, someone has to take the end of the net out from shore as far as possible and bring the end around and back to the shore.  The seine is roughly an hundred feet in length.  On the day pictured here, Chris (the guy in the water), asked me if I had seen anything interesting lately.  I told him about the huge snapping turtle I had seen the day before.  Apparently unphased, he and the others set up their equipment and proceeded to seine the shoreline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment