Thursday, April 9, 2015

Postcard from the Edge (of the Marsh)


As some of you probably realize by now, I am not real good at identifying birds. Especially differentiating between sparrows, seagulls, and shorebirds. Almost anything beginning with S. I was pretty sure the bird behind the Lesser Yellowlegs in this picture was a Dowitcher, but I wasn't sure which one. So, I put out a call for help here — http://birding.aba.org/maillist/MARY (copy and paste). Almost immediately a kind birder responded and let me know it was a Short-billed Dowitcher. The photo is a nice comparison of the differences between the two species.

You can read up on the latest bird sightings in the area at this same link and then back up to the home page if you are interested. I say that because I am not sure how you get from the front door (home page) to the page I listed.


This was a day threatening rain and very cloudy and dark. But, it takes all kinds of conditions and you play the cards you've been dealt. Fortunately, there are two gazebos in this little park so, if it did rain, I knew I could quickly get out of the weather. Rain is always a worry with digital electronics. I thought this image revealed the beauty of the Snowy Egrets in a light not usually seen.

The Boys of Summer

I'm not sure why Mallards seem so much more accessible than any other breed of duck. They seem to be less wary than other species. That may be a female in the middle, but most are on their nests right now, leaving the boys to find trouble on their own.

Boys Club

You wouldn't think they could be very expressive with a bill, but I swear, Mallards can look like they are smiling at you. I have to admit, they know how to put a smile on my face. Their heads have to be one of the most beautiful shades of green there is.


What caught my eye in this photo was the reflection of the wings in the water. The under wing feathers are beautifully reflected.

No comments:

Post a Comment