Monday, May 11, 2015

In A World...


I was reading an article in a photography magazine recently entitled, "Environmental Conservation" by William Neill, a photographer whose images resonate with me more than any other contributor to the magazine. Something he said toward the end of the article caught my attention and got me to thinking:

"My focus has been, and still is, on creating images that reflect the magic, mystery and spirituality I see in nature, whether in my backyard garden or the epic cliffs of Yosemite Valley. At the core of developing a sense of environmental responsibility is for artists to communicate their deepest feelings about nature and in doing so, encourage others to act with respect and love for the natural beauty that surrounds us."

Specifically, my attention was drawn to his use of the term "spirituality," and I realized that many photographers — especially professional landscape photographers — view photography as a spiritual experience. Perhaps they are more sensitive to this aspect of the world around us because they are so focused on the elements that make our world so glorious.

Romans 1:19,20 state that "What can be known about God is plain to them ('them' being all mankind), because God has shown it to them. Ever since the creation of the world his invisible nature, namely His eternal power and deity, has been clearly perceived in the things that have been made."

When you think about it, what better way to reveal the character of the Creator of our world to the creatures He has made than through the creation itself? Our understanding of qualities such as majesty, power, artistry, creativity, orderliness, wisdom and so much more are reflected in the world He has made. I believe He did that intentionally so that we can understand by analogy, things we may not be able to fully understand with our finite minds.

I am reminded of the old Methodist hymn, "This is My Father's World," which said pretty much the same thing.

This is my Father's world,
And to my listening ears
All nature sings, and round me rings
The music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world:
I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;
His hand the wonders wrought.

Walking through the world, knowing He is right there with you, sure beats wandering alone through a universe of chance.


This is a photo I took at a local church where I had made note
 of the moon crossing over the steeple each month when full.

No comments:

Post a Comment