Tuesday, December 2, 2014

What Do Squirrels Eat?

Mushrooms

A tasty twig now and then


Apple peels my wife and I throw out back for them

Tender leaf buds in season

More leaf buds. You like more than one kind of lettuce, don't you?

Cherry blossoms when they can get them

Seed and nuts from the squirrel-proof feeder from the
occasional squirrel clever enough to figure out
how to work around the problem

More shrooms

More fat spring buds

Finally! An actual Acorn.

They got in on the dogwood berries too

A fruit from a mock orange, also known as the Osage orange.
Notice the squirrel has lost most of it's tail.

I developed a new-found respect for squirrels one winter when we were in the middle of a snow storm. It had snowed maybe a foot when I decided to throw some peanuts in the shell out on the back deck for the squirrels. The squirrels apparently were all hunkered down somewhere and never saw the peanuts. The snow continued until the peanuts were covered by at least another foot of snow. The following day, I happened to be passing a window that looked out on the spot where I had thrown the peanuts and saw the tip of a squirrel tail sticking out of a tunnel. I don't know what sense it used to locate the peanuts, but it had found them under a foot of snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment