Friday, June 15, 2012

Beaver


Beaver are mainly nocturnal, so this one which I saw early in the morning was probably headed home after a night of carousing.  Their dens are located within the dams that they construct, but they don't always build a dam.  Sometimes they build a large conical house and, I suspect, that may be true of this one.  If you look carefully, you will see it's flat tail just under the water.

I had one scare the bejeebers out of me one time while I was fishing.  I had just finished thinking how nice and peaceful and enjoyable the pond was when a beaver snuck up right behind me and slapped his tail down on the water as hard as he could to let me know he didn't like me being there.  I almost fell out of the one-man raft I was fishing from since I was sitting up on the edge.  They are edible by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment