Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Happy Heron


I have never caught a great blue heron in quite this attitude.  He seems happy, doesn't he?  Usually I think of them as rather a taciturn breed.  I would estimate that from fifty to sixty percent of the time, a GBH will let out with it's raspy croak either just before it flies or just after it takes to wing. I always look to at least confirm what they are up to when the croak.

I routinely add 1 EV to my exposure if the bird has white on it and it is in the shade.  This over exposes a bit and opens up the shadow detail.  If the same bird is in sunlight, I will only add 1/2 EV to the exposure, because anything more will blow out the whites making them featureless and ugly and may ruin an otherwise good photograph.  Not everyone will understand what I just said, but the ones that do - you know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment