Saturday, June 9, 2012

Possessions for the Taking


I don't own any property on the river.  Thanks to the generosity of three different people, I have been able to film from various spots along the river. It strikes me that despite not owning any property there, I have taken away possessions of which even the owners were unaware. I can lose the images on the camera, but I will always have the memories of the river in my mind.  Those mornings when the water sprites dance out into the middle of the river to join the greater dance.  The saturated reflections of the trees and marsh along the edge of the far side of the river.  The herd of deer crossing over to the marsh to hide from the guns on opening day of the hunting season. Memories are a possession that no one can take away from you.

Did you notice the Eagle in the top of the tree over on the right?

"As I watched my pond (it was not the author's pond) one summer morning, intent on learning what attracted so many deer to its shores, the mind apparently chose its own moment for making a perfect picture, a masterpiece, which should hang in its woodsy frame on my mental wall forever." (William J. Long in How Animals Talk)

No comments:

Post a Comment