Sunday, January 13, 2013


Other Less Common Ducks


Among the birds I have only seen once is the White-winged Scoter (WWS), a similar species to the one from yesterday's entry. While it has some very distinctive features, I am not completely sure of it's identification. The white ring around the neck and the lack of white on it's cheek leave me wondering if it is indeed a WWS.


You would be surprised how often the names of birds get changed.  At least, I am.  These ducks were, until recently, known as Oldsquaw. That is much more imaginative than it's current designation: Long-tailed Duck. Well, Duh! Most of these pictures I'm posting in this entry are of ducks taken at a long distance, which translated means, they are not of very good quality.


This is a male Common Merganser. You can readily see the distinctive bill profile. They also have lamellae along the edges of their bill, but they are smaller and more efficient at holding on to fish. I saw this one last season.


I saw this female Common Merganser the other day when I was filming. It may be that they routinely stay out in deeper water, but I sure would like to know where some of these species can be seen up close.


Here again, this is the only (female) Canvasback duck I have seen down there.  All of these species were present on the Chesapeake Bay in unimaginable numbers at one time. The health of the Bay, which effects the food chain of so many animals, is part of the reason for the decline. Grasses were making a great comeback in the upper Bay until the last couple of years when hurricanes set them back. Canvasbacks feed on these grasses and less grass equates to fewer birds.


Ringed-neck Ducks are suppose to be one of the most common duck species. Who knew? I have only seen them once and that was on the river, not on the Bay. They were there in the early fall on a foggy morning, which was fortunate because they didn't see me for a while and came closer than I think they would have if they had spotted me. The one on the left is a male; the one in the middle may be young of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment