Saturday, January 19, 2013


Serenity Now!



This is not a normal stance for a Tundra Swan. It is much more the type of pose a Mute Swan strikes when it is being aggressive - which this swan is not doing. Maybe I just caught it at the right instant as it was refolding it's wings after stretching.  I don't remember.  Mute Swans have a largely orange bill also.



I'm not sure how to interpret the neck posture. I would have to watch them for a while to understand what is going on. It may be practice for a mating ritual or it may just serve some social function.  I saw a lot of them doing it, often in rhythm with the mate.



Here you have the adults in one posture and the young in another. Actually, that arched-neck posture, again, is something you are more likely to see with Mute Swans. I didn't see the Tundra Swans doing that very much. Families were pretty easy to spot since they usually stuck together as a unit. I can't wait for another opportunity to watch these beautiful creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment