Thursday, February 28, 2013


Big Sky



In some ways, landscape photography is easier than bird photography. The time constraint isn't as pressing for one thing. With birds, you often only get one chance and it may only be a split second chance to capture what you are seeing. In landscape photography, you often have the luxury of setting up your camera and taking all the time you need to focus and frame the image. There are certain times when you may have to work rapidly like at sunrise or sunset but, for the most part, it is a more laid back process.



Both of these images are of the same location on different days. The sky was more interesting in the first photograph so I gave it more room in the frame while still including the entire hillside. And there's the tip: include an interesting sky, but if it is not, exclude as much of it as you can. In the second photo, I zoomed in on the same barn as in the first photo. Framing an image is an art in itself - deciding what to include or exclude. It is a little harder for me to describe how to do it. With me, it is more like I know it when I see it, but there is a certain balance between elements that you are looking for in most cases.

A niece of mine commented on how much she liked this image.  I told her she drove past the spot every day on her way to work.  She was surprised, and didn't realize it.  By careful framing, I had excluded all the "landmarks" - those distracting elements - that would help her recognize the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment