Sunday, May 12, 2013

False Garlic (Nothoscordum bivalve)



Every spring I look forward to a little clump of star-shaped flowers that appear on the lawn. This perennial's greenery begins to grow before the grass, so I can always tell where it is located and avoid it with the mower. 


It is commonly known as false garlic and the greenery does look similar to the garlic plant, but it does not have the oniony smell of a true garlic.


It is also know colloquially as crowpoison, a name I doubt it would acquire if there weren't some truth to it. I can't imagine linking up seeing a crow eat a harmless looking flower with a dead crow, however. Unless maybe it was your pet crow. Supposedly, it is poisonous to more than just crows.


I think maybe a lot of people would tell me my lawn is a mess. That is a subject for a future blog. You can see from this image, though, that false garlic is not the only thing growing in the lawn.


The odd thing about this flower is that it is out of it's range. It is found throughout most of the southeast, but the northern edge of it's range is suppose to be Virginia. It can be propagated from seed, but how it came to grow in my lawn is a mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment