Friday, January 20, 2012

A New Respect


Have you ever seen a squirrel burying a nut in the lawn and thought, Fat chance he'll ever find that again? Yeah, I use to think that too.  Until one winter snowstorm when a squirrel taught me an amazing lesson.  The snow had piled up at least several inches deep when I decided to throw a couple of handfuls of peanuts in the shell out on the deck.  There were no squirrels around when I did it and the snow continued to come down, finally ending in a snowfall of close to two feet.

I passed by the French door out to the back deck at some point the following afternoon when something caught my attention.  I stopped and looked and all I could see was the tip of a squirrel's tail sticking out a tunnel that it had dug down to where the peanuts were.  The only conclusion I could come to was that the squirrel had smelled the peanuts through almost two feet of snow.  So, what is an inch or so of turf over a nut when you can smell that good?

No comments:

Post a Comment