Saturday, January 28, 2012

Seagull



A seagull is a seagull is a seagull.  There are entire books devoted to the identification of gulls, which gives you some idea of how hard it can be to identify them.  In the same gull species, you can have what's called first winter, (sometimes) second winter, breeding adult plumage, non-breeding adult plumage and the potential in some species for hybrid crosses.  Then, you may also be looking at a molting bird, half-way between two different phases.  Yeesh!  Kind of makes you want to simply say, "Hey, look, a seagull."

The challenge in filming your generic bird - at least for me - is to catch them in a posture that is not standard. The more I looked at the image I have posted today, the more I liked it, despite it being a little soft around the eye.  Focus seems to be sharpest on the feet and the depth of field was too shallow to include a sharp eye.  But, I like the angle of the bird.  I don't know why, but it reminds me of a photo of some prehistoric bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment