Sunday, January 1, 2012

Still Apologizing to Georgia O'Keeffe


I thought I would start the new year with something different.

I love backlighting a flower blossom.  It allows the delicacy of a flower to shine through.  I don't manipulate many photos - and what I mean by that is I don't move them or remove a dead leaf and that sort of thing.  I like to film things just as they are.  This petunia was in a hanging basket on the porch and, if I remember right, I had gotten bored with waiting on a hummingbird to come back to the feeder when I noticed how the sun was lighting the interior of certain blossoms.

I was already using a 100 mm macro lens, which also doubles as a very nice short telephoto, so I didn't even have to change lens.  Since I was filming the bloom in place, I couldn't use a tripod (it wasn't tall enough), and so I handheld the camera.  I also shot at -1 EV (exposure value) so that the light in the throat of the flower would take center stage.  I wouldn't mind seeing this printed large.

No comments:

Post a Comment