Friday, November 16, 2012

Cotillion


One of the most fun experiences I have had over the years was photographing an event called Cotillion. It is put on by a local organization in conjunction with a national company with the purpose of teaching social skills to young people. They learn to interact in a social setting with regard to manners, proper table etiquette, as well as learn a wide range of dances. Interestingly, the kids don't resent having to interact with the opposite sex, although kids of that age typically do. I think it is the fact that they have been told they have to go so they are free to just enjoy themselves.

I became aware of Cotillion when my grandson began attending. Parents (and grandparents) can attend and observe the classes.  I brought my camera along to take some pictures of him, but I also had recently bought a fast short telephoto that I wanted to try out under low-light conditions. It wasn't long before I began to see these wonderful candid moments between the kids as they interacted in the various activities.

I have a keen interest in being able to catch candid moments, not in a voyeuristic sense, but with the idea of revealing genuine emotions. I don't have nearly the same interest in capturing staged, more formal portraiture.

I was given permission to take pictures of the children, but I had to promise I wouldn't post them on the Internet.  In this day and age, that was understandable. Things never worked out like I had hoped. I hoped to be able to connect pictures of the children with their parents so they could have copies of the photos.  I was able to do that with a few, but not many.

It ended up with me having a large number of wonderful images that not too many people have ever seen. I won't be posting them here either, but I did have this one image where no one is recognizable that I can post.  I like everything about this image - the implied movement, the colors, the way you can see right through the girls leg to the pattern on the carpet, the swirl of reds on the fringe of her dress. It has a nice energy to it.

If you are from the local area and you might have an interest in your child attending Cotillion, contact me and I can put you in touch with someone who is involved with that program.

No comments:

Post a Comment