Saturday, November 10, 2012

Telephoto Compression


This is a good example of how a telephoto lens can compress an image and make it appear as though things are much closer together than they actually are. It was shot at an aperture of f/9 which should have rendered almost everything in focus, but I was using my "piece of junk" 300mm lens, so even the red-bellied woodpecker doesn't appear to be completely sharp.  I like the impression that you are looking at a wall of trees, but if you looked at the same scene with just your eyes, you wouldn't have that impression at all. It is a very narrow portion of the view seen through our kitchen window. In looking out the window as I write this, I probably should have used an aperture of at least f/11 or, better yet, f/16.  I probably shouldn't blame the lack of focus in this image on the lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment