Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Time Travel


Here is a camera technique that can yield interesting - if not completely predictable - results.  You have to use a DSLR because you have to be able to use a zoom lens and you also have to be able to control the shutter speed. It is probably easiest to set the camera on shutter priority, but is also conceivable to set a small aperture (aperture priority) as long as that also produces a slow shutter speed. A cloudy day works better than a sunny day because of the longish shutter speed requirement. If you cannot slow the shutter quite enough, the use of a neutral density filter can slow the shutter a stop or more, depending on it's strength.


My grandson was playing in the yard a few years ago when I was fooling around with this technique. Shutter speed on the first two was 1/10 second at f/16 and the last was 1/20 second at f/5.6. I used a tripod to keep the camera fairly stable as I zoomed and I used a remote to trigger the camera.


I like the first one the best and a subject that is closer may be more beneficial to the use of the technique. It almost looks as though he is stepping through a time warp.  Zoom in or zoom out.  Its your choice.  Does it make a difference?  I don't know.  I moved on to other things after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment