Sunday, March 17, 2013


They Never Tire of Preening


This is one of my favorite images of Snowy Egrets. The random symmetry, the stark white of the birds, the deep color of the water and perfect reflections are all things I like about it.  I even don't mind the whitewall tire. Too much. The white specks you see here and there are their feathers. In August, when this photo was taken, they are molting out of their breeding plumage and developing a new coat (?) before their migration. I have seen it where the surface of the pond was almost wall to wall white with discarded feathers.

I have been considering entering this photo in an environmental photo contest. I would like to hear your thoughts on what kind of a statement the tire juxtaposed with the beautiful birds makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment