Friday, February 24, 2012

Another Ant Story


Unfortunately, I don't have any photos depicting the story I am going to relate.  The incidents took place at work and I never had the chance to film them.  It began when I pointed out to my boss how some ants in the grass just off the sidewalk were dismantling someones cast-off from a fast food establishment and taking the pieces back to their nest.  Over the course of that summer, we "fed" them several times and it was amazing to watch their labor in harvesting the food we would leave for them.

One day, my boss donated a generous piece of cake.  Over the course of the next few days, the ants didn't take it away (it was too large to do that) but, instead, buried it - or should I say - covered it with dirt, so that they could dismantle it out of sight.  On other occasions, we watched as they would work in unison, an entire "platoon" of ants moving a piece together.  There were even ants on top of the food while others were moving it.  That begs the question, How did they communicate with each other to all move it at the same time and in the same direction?

I am reminded of Proverbs 6:6-8 in the Bible which says, "Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise.  Without having any chief, officer or ruler, she prepares her food in summer, and gathers her sustenance in harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment