Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ant's Eye View


It is hard to figure what interests people.  I am coming up on a year of doing this blog and, in that time, have posted photos from a wide range of subjects.  Some have been aesthetically beautiful (at least, in my opinion) while others may not have been good photography, but still caught some interesting activity. 

One of the nice things about blogger.com is it gives you access to information about visitors to the site.  Not specific information, but general.  Like, what countries are represented among visitors (15 to date, including Kyrgyzstan! and the small country of Latvia.  It also shows how many times a page has been viewed.  The two highest pages (and this is what is hard for me to figure) is the dragonfly (Feb. 6), which has gotten three times more hits than the second nearest, which is the snapping turtle in the mud (Sept. 23).

Maybe the interest stems from the ability to see close-up something people don't normally have a chance to examine.  So, for a while, I thought I would concentrate on macro photography.

I liked this image of an ant looking out over "the abyss" from the time I took it.  The leaf it was on was about four feet off the ground.  I always wonder what it might have been thinking.  Of course, an ant could fall from the top of a high tree and probably not get hurt, but if a human were to fall from a proportionate height, they had better be wearing a parachute.

You cannot take macro images with any consistency of sharpness while handholding the camera.  The depth of field is too shallow.  The slightest movement can cause the photo to go from pin sharp to completely out of focus.  On this day, I was using a tripod, altered to serve as a monopod.  That at least gave me stability in one direction.  You have to have some maneuverability because insects can move surprisingly fast, so that is why I was using it as a monopod rather than a tripod.  In this case, one leg is better than three.

No comments:

Post a Comment