Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Fossils


I found this beautiful fossilized scallop in a local stream.  It is a little more than two inches long. It may look rough, but it is actually very smooth. You can tell from looking at it that it consists of clay mud hardened into rock.  As it turned out, when I began looking around, there were many small fossilized shells and other forms of sea life.  I believe this is called a fossil pecten.  It was the first one I found and I have kept it on my desk ever since.  What really touched my imagination was when I realized I was almost certainly the first to have ever laid eyes on it despite it having lived thousands of years ago.

The first fossil described from North America came from Maryland.  Scientists Cliffs, here in Calvert County, is one of the main fossil outcrops in this region.  The whole area is thought by scientists to have been underwater during the Miocene era.  The whole area is thought by Bible believers to be more evidence of a universal flood in the not-so-distant past.

No comments:

Post a Comment