Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Crab Spider


This is a little crab spider.  They like to sit completely still on flower blossoms with their legs spread wide open very much like a crab waiting for unsuspecting insects to land near by.  I am not sure if they have the ability to change color or not.  Many of the ones I have seen blend in very well with whatever they are sitting on.  Anyway, I was filming this one when it jumped up and decided to fly away.  Hey, wait a minute!  Spiders can't fly.  That is what I realized a split second after it took off.  So I ran after it.  I never did determine how it could move so fast, but it turned out that the silk thread you can see in the photo extended about fifteen feet around the corner of the house and it was traveling on that thread at a fast enough speed that it gave the impression it was flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment