Monday, March 12, 2012

Vacationing


A mild winter in the east is being followed by an early spring.  Everything seems ahead of schedule - including the return of the osprey.  My wife and I saw a pair of osprey at route 4 on the Patuxent this past Saturday, a full week before St. Pattie's Day, the date of their usual return (to this area).

They vacation (migrate) separately, the female leaving something like a month before the male in the fall and I presume they do not migrate to the same area, so it has been several months since they have been together.  And yet, here they are, both sitting on the nest they have presided over for two previous seasons.  I wonder if they are glad to see each other when they first lay eyes on each other after the long separation.  I would like to witness that first encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment