Friday, March 23, 2012

Wolf Spider II


Every summer, we seem to have at least one wolf spider that builds a tunnel web on our front porch somewhere.  This is one of those. They tend to like recessed areas where they can hide in the shadows.

One evening, my wife called me into the kitchen while she was cooking on the stove.  She asked me if I was trying to play a joke on her.  I had no idea what she was talking about.  She pointed to a wolf spider on the wall below the cooking vent that had been sitting there quite a while without moving.  That is why she thought I must have put a "replica" of one there because it hadn't moved.  She, naturally, became very agitated when I told her I hadn't put it there.

She had a clean, empty mayonnaise jar and I put it over the spider and it dropped into the jar and I capped it.  Up until this point, all the ones I had seen moved pretty slow, but once it was in the jar it, naturally, became very agitated.  I was surprised how fast it could move.  I didn't want to kill it, so when I got ready to release it, I took it up into the woods and found a bare spot on the floor of the woods where I could drop it.  When I opened the jar and turned it over, the spider fell out, but as soon as it hit the ground, it blended in so well, I couldn't even see it.  I, naturally, became very agitated and left the area as fast as my little feet would carry me.

No comments:

Post a Comment