Tuesday, May 1, 2012

It was Luv


I watched two great blue herons glide past the dock I was standing on and land close by along the shore. One landed behind a tree out of my line of sight at a little beach while the other landed a little further off where I could see him.  When he didn't close his wings upon landing, I knew something "different" was up.  He kept his wings open for a full minute before folding them up.  That, and he had his head pointing up into the sky, which I recognized as a mating stance.  Then he slowly sauntered through the water toward the other heron which remained out of sight.  It was luv.


But, she wasn't having any of it and ultimately chased him off.  Before leaving, however, I took this photo of him getting ready to try to "meet" her behind the tree.  I thought I would do a closer crop on his head and body so you could see them better.  He is able to fluff the feathers on his back, which he kept up the entire time.

No comments:

Post a Comment