Saturday, May 5, 2012

Another Idlyllic View


Here is another lovely spot that I never tire of looking at.  The nice thing about spending so much time at this same spot is that I can wait until the ideal conditions appear to take a snap.  That is slang in England for snapshot I guess.  I know this from reading an English photo magazine.  Sometimes when I read the terms they use, I can't even understand what they are saying!  But anyhoo...

This boathouse is where the pair that are now nesting on the telephone pole first started to set up housekeeping.  They tried for two years in a row.  But the owner wasn't having it and did everything he could to frustrate their plans.  And I can't blame him.  Once they establish a nest, it is almost impossible to get rid of them.  Initially, he put up what I think may have been an electric fence around the perimeter of the upper portion of the roof.  That is now gone, but there is another mechanism currently that looks like spider legs sprouting from a central sprocket.  I imagine it can turn freely and must be there to discourage nest building.  You can barely see it if you look between the two nearest osprey right along the ridge of the roof.

One of these three osprey is the male from the telephone pole nest.  I have no idea what he was up to, but he flew over there and got what I would guess is the male from that pair upset and chasing him around for a while.  Then he left.

Wouldn't you just love to have a place like this where you could sit and look out over the river and watch the antics of the different animals?  In the four years or more that I have filmed down there, I have never seen anyone using it.  Now, granted, I'm never there in the afternoon so, maybe they do use it. But I have been there on a lot of Saturdays and would think I would see someone once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment