Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Practicing Majesty


This is probably about a four-year-old eagle.  That is how old they are before they morph into a white head and tail and while his head is almost completely white, you can see streaks of white on his underbody and his tail still has dark brown in it. 

After being there for a while, I got bored with waiting and decided to imitate some other birds by whistling.  While I never have been able to whistle very well, he did perk up when I would imitate different calls and cock his head and look at me like he was thinking, "What the hey?"

He was facing in my direction when I first arrived and after some time, he decided to turn with his back to me.  He had to take a lot of care to make sure he didn't misstep and that is why he is looking down.  He very carefully made sure he had a good hold before taking the next step in the process of turning around.  Now you know where the term "spread eagle" comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment