Sunday, October 12, 2014

Abstract Water Reflections 2


I was filming the sunrise on the edge of the Chesapeake Bay one morning when I realized the slow swells were reflecting the pinks of the sunrise in a wonderful abstract pattern. It is seven miles or so to reach St. Michaels on the opposite edge of the Bay at this point. The water creates an optical illusion where the land appears to float as islands above the horizon.


"A Fish Out of Water" - If you study this image of reflections from needlerush for a moment, you will discover why I titled it as I did. I have to admit, many of my reflection images "develop" as a result of a slow day filming birds. I don't want to use the word "boredom" because it is seldom truly boring. Reflections like this can pique my interest and save the morning.


Try to figure this image out before you read the following. It is a reflection in the river of a sky full of alto cumulus clouds. The sandy shore on the lower left is the tip-off. Notice how as the bottom falls away, the water becomes a perfect reflection of the sky above. Water is almost magical in it's qualities.


The reflections yield the only information about the season in which the photograph was taken. In fact, the reflections almost camouflage the ducks from being seen for a brief moment. Take away the reflection and what have you got? That is not a rhetorical question, but you can see that without the Fall colors, the image would be pretty average.


Most of this image is a water reflection. You can make out a log reflected along the top and you may recognize the leaves of pickerel weed below it. The snaggy looking branches center right are the only real thing in the picture. It is probably not to everyone's taste, but I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment