Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Purposeful Photographer 2


I wrote yesterday of how I had certain descriptive words in mind that I tried to embody in the photographs I take, but had never taken the opportunity to consciously distill them into a list. After reading "The Purposeful Photographer" (see yesterday's blog), I was persuaded to write them down. The value of doing this is that the more of these words you can associate with or embody in a picture, the more unified will be the body of work you create and the more likely it will have a distinctive character or style.


Words are like gems. Most have multiple facets of meaning. For that reason, I have placed other descriptive adjectives in parentheses behind each word I have chosen. They express other facets of the main words that I have in mind.


For example, the first word on my list - and I will say these are not in order of importance - is the word: Whimsical (in the sense of enchanting, charming, mysterious, mystical, ethereal, and magical).


It is not that I am unaware of the terrible things that go on in this world, but I do not choose to focus on them. At least, not with photography. I don't do ugly. I don't think anything good comes out of emphasizing the negative.


Today's images are instances in which I think I successfully captured the idea of whimsy.


No comments:

Post a Comment