Friday, October 3, 2014

Parting Shots



I hope I don't give the impression that I am very good with a camera. Yes, I have been shooting for a while, but I shoot a lot of junk. I probably throw a third of what I shoot in the trash almost immediately. There is probably another third that belongs there, but for one reason or another, I keep it. That is because it isn't about how great the photo is; it is about the story behind the picture. Like this photo of a standoff between a hummingbird and a yellow jacket. The yellow jacket was actually gunning for the bird. Who would have thought the yellow jacket would try to protect the feeder like that? I saw it over and over again, however.


Here is a little female having trouble deciding whether to sample the flower or the feeder.


I noticed the similarity between the specular highlights in this photo and the last and thought they were taken one right after the other. Upon checking the time code, however, they were taken twenty minutes apart. I like the way she is aligned with the background highlight.


I normally am not too keen about shooting birds from underneath. Yes, they fly overhead so it is common to see them from this perspective. It just isn't very satisfying to see the same thing over and over again. I am not sure what it is about this photo that I like, but it is an exception to what I just said.

As the title implies, these are the last of the hummingbird photos I will be posting. I wonder if the birds you see here aren't already vacationing in Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment