Friday, July 24, 2015

Food, Glorious Food


I thought this image was perfect for a little joke about hearing. I keep asking my wife to repeat herself. I don't know if I'm losing my hearing or she has a secret plan for driving me insane. But, she accuses me of the same plan when I ask her to repeat something for the third time.


The chicks from the current year's brood begin to fly towards the end of July. From then until the adults leave in the early fall, the parents will supplement the fish the chicks are able to catch. In this photo, the adult male has returned with what appears to be an eel. He will swing back around and drop it in the nestbox.


There is no hesitation on the part of the chick who snatches it up and flies off to eat it.


Once they begin to fly, they almost prefer to fly to a tree to eat unharassed by siblings.


The female parent looked as though she was going to return to the nest to feed this small fish to her offspring, but it disappeared before she got there. I think she was so famished, she decided to eat it herself, which she did on the fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment