Saturday, July 18, 2015

I Second that Emotion


Maybe it is being too anthropomorphic, but different species of birds appear to possess different emotions. Great Blue Herons, for example, almost always strike me as being grumpy birds. When I see Belted Kingfishers, I invariably enjoy watching their antics. They impress me as being very excited-to-be-alive type birds. Whether these two are mated or whether it is a parent/child relationship, I am not sure. It was great fun watching them fish along the shore, making huge splashes when they dove. They were using the bamboo pole as a perch to spot minnows in the shallows.


What I haven't had the opportunity to do very often is obtain photos of Kingfishers at a closer distance. They are relatively wary birds and do not liked to be approached. So it is more a matter of one randomly landing close by. With their oversize head, they always look a little top-heavy. One thing I do not like about them is that little white spot near the eye. It tends to make it look like that is their eye in photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment