Saturday, October 17, 2015

Hunting Season

A flock of Gadwall parachuting into a pond

Fall has returned and with it, the sound of gunners gunning. I personally could not shoot waterfowl, but I don't have a problem with those that do. Opening day on the river is loud with shotguns going off all up and down the shoreline and geese complaining and looking for safe haven.

I only ask for two things: clean kills and don't just throw them in a trashcan when you are done hunting. That use to bug the heck out of me when I would see a fisherman who didn't want to clean the fish simply throw them away. It made me wonder why catch and release never occurred to the selfish soul.

Hunters contribute much more than most people generally realize to the conservation of bird species and wetlands. They don't just take, but give a lot in return. They are knowledgeable about the ecological issues that plague modern society, something from which we could all take a lesson.

If you are interested in filming ducks and geese, I have found that a good place to get information on their whereabouts is Ducks Unlimited. I signed up for emails and hunters from all over the region tell me what they are seeing. I may not go where they are hunting, but it indicates what species have arrived in the area and what I can expect to find when I go out to take pictures.

Next time you see one, thank a hunter that you aren't overrun by Canada Geese or whitetail deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment