Tuesday, October 13, 2015

In Context or Getting Your Ducks in a Row


I found this image with mud on the faces of most of the Canvasbacks and a bonus Redhead in the middle of them for comparison between the two breeds. The second and fourth from the left are females.


I have to wonder if Mute Swans aren't getting a bum rap. They don't chase all birds out of their territory. The only birds I have seen them chase are geese. The swan is unconcerned with all the ducks in this picture and I observed the swan over the summer share a beach with Mallards and a fallen log with herons. Personally, I don't have a problem with them chasing the ubiquitous gooses.


I took this image of the Mute Swan early on in my acquaintance with the breed. I thought the lifted wings were lovely, but didn't realize that is suppose to be a sign of aggression. Her (or his — I'm not sure) head is cocked in curiosity as she eyes me to determine if I am a threat. Had I known this, I might have been a little more concerned for my safety. They are an imposingly large bird that could do some harm.


Ben Carson has been complaining about the news media distorting what he says by reporting his comments taken out of context. And he is right. The liberal media intentionally do that to conservatives It seems to me, a  close-up photo of a bird can be similarly taking the bird out of context. Like I said recently, it has taken me a while to come to grips with the idea that not all of my bird photos are going to be in-your-face close. On the other hand, not many people are willing to show you their not-so-close shots. So, maybe there is a niche there that my images are filling.


It is gratifying to see a bird like the Pileated Woodpecker thriving in an area like this. The Ivory-billed Woodpecker, a close relative, is in all likelihood extinct because it's preferred habitat was so specialized. This bird lives in an area with a heavily travelled highway close by and commercial businesses which include equipment that can be very loud. Not ideal, but it is nice to see him making it none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment