Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Another "Duh" Moment

I swore to myself I wasn't going to take another picture
of a Great Blue Heron simply flying from point A to point B.  I had taken dozens -okay, maybe hundreds of photos that all looked exactly the same - neck pulled back, feet straight out behind, flap, flap, flap...  Standing on the edge of the river in disgust, I determined I wasn't even going to lift the camera to look at them.  I was done.  No more.

Then it hit me.  Okay, maybe 90% of the time, they look the same when they fly, but if I wasn't tracking the bird with my lens, then I wasn't going to be ready the other 10% of the time and would miss anything interesting that might occur.  And then, as if to reinforce that thought, another Great Blue Heron flew into the area and I begrudgingly raised my camera and started tracking it.  And wouldn't you know, all of a sudden from flying in the same old posture, the bird pulled up suddenly and dropped down to the surface of the river.  In the split second it pulled up, I took this photograph, a visual reminder each time I see it of another duh moment.



This photo always puts me in mind of a Japanese silk screen image.  It is a very graceful looking pose not seen very often.

No comments:

Post a Comment