Friday, December 30, 2011

Red-bellied Woodpecker II


Unless you are close, the red belly is not very visible.  This close-up photo shows the red-tinged feathers pretty well.  He is perched on the branch I had strapped to the deck (see yesterday's post) as a perch, but also as a stage for taking photos.  That is my photo tip for the day.  Use branches as staging for more natural photos.  But they have to have a reason for being there - a feeder provides a good motive.  I shot the photo through the kitchen window.  Tip two - clean the window.

Almost all male woodpeckers have red on them somewhere.  Why, I'm not sure.  The female red-belly also has red on the head but it doesn't reach the bill in the front and it isn't quite as vivid.  Notice the long toe nails and substantial beak used to chip bark away while foraging for insects.  The red on a male is one of the prettiest reds I have seen on any bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment