Thursday, December 15, 2011

To Catch a Fish

How do you capture a fish jumping out of the water?  Well, first, you have to have a good idea where they are going to jump and then, you have to be pretty sure when to press the shutter.  One morning on the river a couple years ago, there was a concentrated area out in front of me of maybe a couple hundred feet square where dozens of fish about 8-10 inches long were jumping out of the water.  This went on for several minutes and I thought it wouldn't be too difficult to capture at least one frame in which I had caught one or two jumping.  Despite the constant jumping, I was completely unsuccessful.  So how did I capture this photo of a jumping shad?  The truth is, the fish was in it's death throws and only appears to be jumping.  But this fish was the beginning of a chain of events that were some of the most interesting moments I have experienced while filming on the river.  I'll relate that over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment