Saturday, December 1, 2012

Autumn Leaves


I love to shoot leaves in the fall.  When the light is right - which in this case can be in the middle of the day - I'll go out and sometimes shoot a couple hundred pictures.  Then, when I have that out of my system, I will load them on the computer and throw most of them away. Back lit leaves with their translucent colors can be spectacular.

I didn't throw this one away, though. I liked the graphic look the way the leaves divide up the image into triangular segments. Even though these leaves were still green, you can see the oranges from other blurred out leaves in the background as well as a nice blue circle of sky.  I could wish the white circle were also blue since it is a bit distracting.

In retrospect, I'm surprised the image is as sharp as it is. I remember the branch was a little too high to use the tripod, so I had to hand-hold the camera. I used a wide open shutter (f/5.6) to get enough light and still ended up using a shutter speed of 1/80th second - which is pretty slow. It helps to take a deep breath and hold it when you trip the shutter and also brace your elbows against your torso if you have to take a photo hand-held like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment