Friday, December 21, 2012

M R Ducks


Some friends of mine who live right on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay kindly permit me to stand on their dock and freeze this time of year. Although I live only a few miles inland, I forget that, while the weather may seem balmy at the house, the weather on the Bay can be much different. I thought I was dressed warm enough, but by the time I left, I was wishing I had also worn a scarf, heavier gloves, and a balaclava to cover my face.  I won't make that mistake twice!


While I'm out there freezing, I take pictures of ducks with the idea that maybe I'll capture something special. The photos today are nothing special, but they do demonstrate the great number of ducks that make the Bay their winter destination.  These particular ducks appear to be mainly Greater Scaup, a common duck that winters along both coasts of the U.S. and, to a lesser extent, along the Gulf. In summer they are found mainly in western Canada and Alaska.

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment