Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Shipping Lane


The Port of Baltimore is one of the major East Coast destinations for containerized cargo. Huge ships, like this one, ply the shipping channel along the eastern shore of the Chesapeake. Ship captains are not allowed to pilot their own vessel, but must board a Maryland state licensed pilot who is intimately familiar with the shipping channel as well as the shoals and reefs. Although the channel is fifty feet deep, there are times when there may be as little as three feet clearance between the hull and the bottom.

Two things strike me about this image. One is how complimentary the colors are. The other is it always makes me feel sad when I first see it.  Why? I don't know, but I can tell you it has nothing to do with wanting to be on board as it heads off to other parts of the world. If I want to go Europe, I'll take a plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment