Friday, August 3, 2012

Heads Up



 
I see a lot of turtles on the river.  They come up and stick their noses out of the water to get some air and to rest.  Sometimes they will emerge far enough to get an idea of their size, but in a photo, since they are surrounded by water, there is nothing to compare them to.


Most turtles are small in comparison to the snapping turtle.  I have seen a few snappers also, but none so big as the one I saw yesterday.  The photo doesn't do it justice.  I was trying to get an image where it's shell could be seen at least a bit, but the wave action wasn't strong enough to "bob" him.  You can get some idea of his size by noting where the water is disturbed behind it.  If I touch all four of my fingers to the tip of my thumb in an open fist, that is what I estimate the size of it's head was.

No comments:

Post a Comment