Thursday, August 30, 2012

Caspian Tern


Once nesting season is past, I start seeing more gulls and terns plying the river for fish.  I love to watch the terns.  They often hit the water at full speed, head first.  Being so close to shore, this one dove a little more shallow.  You would think a splash is a splash, but I guess body shape and other dynamics effect splashes.  Notice the big globules of water.  And, I don't know what was going on with the fish, but there is a spiral of water coming off of it.


Same bird, same fish. I hate to eat and run, but... They don't normally land, but eat the fish on the fly. This Caspian is in breeding plumage.  The black cap on it's crown becomes overall gray-looking in the winter, although to see it up close it is actually a mix of white and black feathers.  They have a very loud one-note call.  If they are fairly close I will film them, otherwise I just like to watch their antics.

No comments:

Post a Comment