Friday, August 10, 2012

Green Heron



Green herons are my idea of what a heron should look like. Notice how well it blends in with it's habitat.  If I didn't know where it was, I probably wouldn't have seen it here in a classic stance. It was hunting minnows and would dive in, fish jumping in all directions.  I love the over-sized feet, apparently designed to easily cling to stumps like this. 


Here is a different one in another environment where it would be hard to spot.  They move along faster than a great blue heron when they hunt, but they are still stealthy.


It wasn't long before it captured a meal.  I'm not sure what kind of fish that is.  I am not familiar with the markings on it's side. I don't think it is a catfish, but I may be wrong.  The heron had a lot of trouble swallowing it, I know that.


The heron looked like it was through swallowing it two or three times, then hocked it up and tried it again.


Eventually though, it managed to keep it down and then it was off to find some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment