Saturday, April 14, 2012

From Color to Grayscale


Not all subjects can make the conversion from a color image to grayscale and still look good.  In most cases, the best grayscale photos were visualized in grayscale before they were even taken.  There has to be good tonal contrast so that everything doesn't simply become a muddy gray.  Patterns and shapes show up much better in grayscale without the distraction of color.

I have to confess that I didn't previsualize how this image would look in grayscale.  Someone asked me if I had any grayscale images, and I ended up going through some images with grayscale conversion in mind.  I liked this one of a cluster of cherry blossoms better than most.  It isn't a straight grayscale as I have added a little yellow to warm it up some.

No comments:

Post a Comment