Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Colors of Easter II


There is a world of fascinating photographic subjects that is mostly overlooked.  In fact, most people do not even know they exist, even though they are right beneath our feet.  These "weeds" are a case in point.  You may have walked right over them in early spring without even noticing them since they are only about an inch tall.  Once the blooms develop, the flower stems grow to about three to four inches, but they are still so small as to go unnoticed.  I don't even know the name of this "weed."

Easter often occurs in March and that is when they appear, so because of that, and their color, I think of them as an Easter flower.  Plus, it helps that they look like little purple Easter bunnies.  Have you ever seen a more lovely "weed?"  Not only do they have the beautiful flower, but if you look closely at the leaves in the upper part of the plant, you will see a second type of flower which looks like a small velvety crimson button.  I think it might be one of the prettiest flowers I have ever seen and I'll bet not one in a hundred other people have ever seen it.  If they were a foot tall, they would probably sell like hotcakes, but they are reserved for those who take the time to look for them.


To capture these photos, the camera had to be directly on the ground - which brings up another point.  I could have gone out and plucked some of these flowers and arranged them for some photos, which would have been a whole lot easier.  But, I have a personal rule (or goal) to shoot subjects "in situ," i.e., in place just as I found them, and just as I will leave them.  In other words, "leave no trace" of my having been there.  If there happened to be some distracting trash or fallen branches in the frame, that is one thing, but I try not to alter anything when I take photos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment