Friday, April 27, 2012

Counting Eagles


I don't intentionally try to count eagles, but sometimes it happens that I am able to get an fairly idea about the number of the eagles in this stretch of river.  It requires keeping track of where they are at any given time, otherwise you could easily end up counting the same one more than once.  The other day, though, it was easy to count five.  Two adults flew across the river and into the marsh.  Only a minute later, I looked through the telephoto at a bird in the distance simply to identify what it was.  It was an immature eagle and, as I watched, it went into a steep dive headed toward the shoreline.  I could see movement along the shore and thought it might be attacking another bird.  Instead, it landed, and I took a photo at that moment just to study what was going on.  It turned out to be two other immature eagles that I hadn't seen.  So, it was pretty easy to determine that there are at least five eagles in the area, all seen within about a minute.  I am pretty sure there are even more than that in this area.  If I remember correctly, I had a count of nine one day last season.

No comments:

Post a Comment