Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Recent Photographs

Today, I am just posting some recent photographs. Often, my "best" stuff doesn't make it to the blog because it doesn't relate to the subject. Most of these were taken in the last week, many before the ice and snow disappeared. All were taken at Schoolhouse pond in Upper Marlboro, Maryland

Man, that is cold!

It is hard to figure why some Great Blue Herons elect to spend the winter. That was not a smart decision this year. This one landed on some slush, jumped right back up, flew a little farther and landed again. Only this time, he broke through and ended up thigh high in ice water.

Spread Out!

Sometimes you can take the time to frame a photograph and set it up. At other times, you have to shoot fast. I was pleased with the distribution of the Mallards and the way they appear each be going their own way.

Inquiring minds want to know

I have seen this look before. The goose is wondering whether it can move any closer without endangering itself. Either that, or it isn't sure I'm human because of the camera on a tripod in front of me does not make me look quite human.

And, having done all, stand

Winter is a great time to take photographs. Even in the middle of the day, like here, the lighting is not harsh and contrasty like it can be at other times of the year. I was attracted to this image by the water reflections. Geese can stand on one leg like that for long periods of time. I recently watched one sleep, preen it's back, and sip water — all while standing on one leg! Notice the turtle at it's feet.

What the heck is that?

I am terrible at identifying hawks. They all look the same to me. And, even after carefully examining all the little differences between one species and another, I am still at a loss to tell which one I am looking at. I think this is a Broad-winged Hawk — but don't put any money on it. I say that (and this is based on more than one photo) because of the wider white band on the tail and the pointier wings.

Snow is amazing in it's ability to soften shadows. It is like a giant soft box. A soft box is used in a studio setting by professional photographers to create shadowless images of products. In the field, you take what you can get. This hawk was maybe fifty to hundred feet in the air and the snow still cast a shadowless reflection onto it's underside. I did almost nothing to this photo straight from the camera.

That's it. Five recent photos. It seems so long ago that we were dealing with the ice and snow. It is hard to believe it was just last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment