Thursday, August 20, 2015

Three's a Crowd


Just when I said I can never get two hummingbirds in the same photograph, this company of two proved me wrong. I could never get three in the same photograph.  Alligators come in congregations, turtles come in bales, but you will never see three hummingbirds because three's a crowd and hummingbirds don't travel in crowds.


They get very nervous and jumpy when there are two. It doesn't take much to incite them to leave in a hurry.


There was a time a few years ago when I saw two come in together. I believed that to be a mother/daughter duo, which is why I think they tolerated each other. My guess is these two are sisters.


They would both sip at the same time, then reach for their gun at the same time. It was very tense.


I "missed" this shot, but it gives you an idea of what was going on much of the time both were at the feeder. Settling onto the feeder together really is not the norm. Hummingbirds do not like to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment