Thursday, August 13, 2015

You Never Know What You'll See


I only rarely see Great Blue Heron (GBH) perched in trees and then I'll go through a period where it seems like that is all I see. I'm not sure you will be able to see them, but this heron seems to be sampling small berries growing on a vine in the tree.


You might think that is an awful small food source. I think so too.


But, then, I consider the Great Egret which routinely eat what I like to refer to as "popcorn minnows." I have seen Great Egrets eat a lot of fish, but I don't think I have ever seen one eat a fish much bigger than the one in this picture. I think that is very odd.


After the GBH determined the berries weren't going to satisfy him, he turned his attention back to the river below the trees.


Here is another one in a tree a little later in the morning. It is not unusual to see a GBH take one of it's toes and very slowly and carefully scratch it's chin like this one is doing.


There are a lot of bird species that don't get much respect — and by that I mean, they don't hold the attention of someone who may be watching birds because they appear uninteresting and common. Double-crested Cormorants probably fall into this category. I love to watch them, though. When they are active, they are very interesting to watch. They have a penchant for flying, like this one is doing, just above the surface of the water. It doesn't seem to bother them in the least if their wing tips actually hit the water. Much like the crow from a few days ago, I am always happy when I can eek some detail out of such a dark bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment