Tuesday, September 8, 2015

You've Been Set Up Too


I thought I would show you what it looks like in the other direction from where I sit on the porch. As an aside, if you are ever in the market for a home, I highly recommend considering one with a porch. It has been just about the most enjoyable feature of our home. When you come in out of the rain, you can drop your umbrella on the porch and enter the house dry or pop it open before you step off the porch. Same way in winter. You aren't stepping out directly into snow. The best part is you can sit out there in the summer when it is raining and stay dry.

There is a piece of foam core visible on the right hand side which is just below the hummingbird feeder and set-up in yesterday's post. You might have noticed the dogs. As long as they don't get to barking, they don't scare the hummingbirds. In fact, a couple days ago, one flew right down in their faces to check them out.


Being able to sit while I am waiting for the hummingbirds allows me to film longer since I can relax in between their visits. By the way, thanks to my wife for taking these photos so I could use them on the blog. You can see from the part of the lens showing in front of my hand that it is a Canon telephoto. All their long lens are white. I don't know why they do that. It doesn't work well for wild life photographers who are trying to be inconspicuous. The black fabric draped over the lens is called a Storm Jacket. It is like a raincoat for the camera. It can cover the entire camera when it is raining to keep it dry. I leave it on the lens all the time, however, to hide the white color. Plus, it is always right there if I need it in a rain shower.


Here is a different angle showing how I have set up the tripod so that I can sit comfortably. The legs spread out at several angles which allows the tripod to drop closer to the ground with each setting. By spreading it, I can adjust it so that the legs straddle my legs allowing me to pull the entire rig in close.


Here you pretty much see what the birds see. Since I don't move much, after a while they become more relaxed. You can also better see how the legs of the tripod are straddling me.

1 comment: